Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Many things have come to me late in life and some of them are insomnia, a deep and abiding interest in anything sweet, bigger breasts, understanding how to really use a stick shift, allergies, creativity, and severe depression. There are other things but I've forgotten them.
There was a reason I thought I needed to sit down right now to write about things coming to me late in life but I've forgotten what it is. It's been that way all afternoon, ever since I took a dose of medicine which Doctor Doctor of the West Oakland Health Clinic prescribed for me a week ago. The last time I wrote about Doctor Doctor I was beginning to doubt that he was on my side, but I've been back to see him enough times now to know that I have nothing to fear.
Last week he gave me two drugs, Chlorpheniramine and Flonase, in an attempt to clear up the mess in my ears that allergies have created. These two drugs far surpass Ambien, which Doctor Doctor didn't want to prescribe for me no how much I whined for it because he felt it could make me walk in my sleep and get into real trouble, in their ability to put me to sleep. They also make me pretty stupid in the head. I believe this is the reason I can't remember anything.
For instance, I sat down to write but got up right away to let my two foster teenage boy cats into my rental house and as I let them in I realized I had forgotten why I'd sat down so I went on to do something else until I suddenly remembered that I was going to write about herpes, which is another thing that has come late into my life. Half a minute later, back in my chair in front of this computer, I'd forgotten I had herpes and that I wanted to write about it. By the time I remembered, I was so confused that I left this post altogether and didn't come back to it for a month and at this stage, I'm picking up where I left off.
During my hiatus from writing, I learned a lot more about herpes and how it isn't really something most people would write about in their blog. But what the hell, I decided, I am not most people and anyway, no one reads this blog so why not tell my blog about it?
Until I looked at Google's photo's of people with herpes sores, I had thought that this was my very first case of herpes. However, I recognized the itchy, little blisters I used to get on the tops of my fingers, starting when I was 12 and ending a few years ago and realized I've had herpes on and off all my life. This knowledge put a damper on the delight I felt at thinking I had such a youthful disease at my age.
One of the benefits of getting herpes at this late age is that I'm not bothered that my face looks as if the lower half has been gnawed at by small animals, but it certainly would have upset me when I was a lot younger and needed to be a guy magnet. Actually, I am still a guy-magnet with those bright red sores which are sure to get the attention of men who are drawn to openly infected women in their sixties.
Labels: allergies, herpes, prescription drugs

No comments:

Post a Comment